Tuesday, March 23, 2010

La Opera - Ciudad de Mexico D.F.
















La Opera Bar and Restaurant, was highly recommended to me by a very good friend and his suggestions are always right on! In the center of Mexico City between the Reforma area and Zocalo, I was pleasantly greeted into this historically intriguing eatery. (see the link above)
I ordered the Carne Asada Tampinquena and was completely satisfied. The meat was perfectly medium and the accompanying side dishes made for a delicious meal. I created my own tacos amidst the varied selection of ingredients on my plate: fresh made tortillas, nopalitos, guacamole with cotijo cheese, mole sauce (that smothered a side enchilada), marinated onions, jalapenos, verde salsa and limes. Don't forget the Indio beer for refreshment.
Satiated, I rolled out of the decorative and calming ambiance into the festive 80+ degree streets of la Ciudad de Mexico, ignoring the protesting groups marching to loud speakers, by the omni-present machine gun clad guards, drooling past the window displays of the multiple pastelerias and back to the comfort of my layover hotel to rest before my 4 am wake up call and another 14 hour duty day in the sky.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds delicioso!
    Thank you for sharing, memories of El Zocalo and
    taking me there, it's been many years.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouthwatering! Nothing beats authentic Mexican food, thanks for the restaurant link ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please add La Opera Bar to your list of photos for sale. All three are lovely though and remind me of another old city I;s like to show you one day - Bella Firenze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great food with different kinds of varieties and multiple dishes of various recipes, which are all looking awesome and too sumptuous for sure.

    Moreover, you must visit Virginia, The Shenandoah Valley where you must see the very marvelous destination to visit Woodruff Inns Resorts. It is the best place to spend your vacations, honey moons and special holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gretchen -- This sounds so very good, and it's so cool you're getting to know Mexico City as well as the European destinations. Do you think we'd like Mexico City? We'd certainly love the food! (I'm almost embarrassed to say so but I nearly drool thinking that within 10 days I'll be chowing down at Azteca in Seattle! Honestly: You can't get any decent Mexican food in Germany, and though Azteca's fare obviously caters to American tastes, at least it's 1000 times closer to the real thing than anything you find over here!)
    XOXO
    Michael

    ReplyDelete